A federal appeals court has ordered the Trump administration to open an investigation into the role former Trump Campaign Chairman Paul Manafort played in a dossier of damaging allegations against President Donald Trump, a Justice Department official said Tuesday.
The decision is part of a broader review of whether the Trump campaign and President Donald J. Trump obstructed justice during the 2016 presidential election.
The case was brought by a former member of Trump’s team who is also a former British intelligence officer, according to the official.
The Justice Department’s Office of Legal Counsel is reviewing the decision, the official said.
A decision is expected in the coming weeks, the Justice Department said.
The official, who was not authorized to discuss the case publicly and spoke on condition of anonymity because the decision was not yet public, said the review will look into whether there was a conflict of interest by Manafort or others in the Trump presidential campaign, the dossier or any other matter involving the president or his campaign.
It is unclear whether the decision will impact the probe of the former Trump national security adviser Michael Flynn.
Flynn pleaded guilty last week to lying to the FBI about his communications with Russian Ambassador Sergey Kislyak.
The U.S. attorney in Virginia is conducting the criminal investigation into Flynn.
Trump has denied any collusion with Russia.
The president has been under fire since the Justice and FBI probes began in early May after reports surfaced of alleged Trump campaign communications with the Russian government.